Saturday, October 21, 2017

Launch Report 2017-11 (NARHAMS)

Location: Mt. Airy
Weather: sunny; mid 70s; wind 0-3 
Total flights: Today - 12; YTD - 50
Total motors: Today - 12; YTD - 62
Motors by class YTD:  MMX-1; A-9; B-4; C-21; D-3; E-7; F-9; G-6; H-1; I-1


Man alive, another day of perfect weather. 2017 was most excellent in that regard (so far)!  The lines were nonexistent from the first couple of hours and I got all my LPR flights up in about one hour and 15 minutes. By the time I ate, the near soccer field cleared and I moved on to my mid-power flights. The first one, the MLAS-S, landed far up in a tree despite the use of the JLCR. It might actually have been better not to use it that time. It took over an hour to get it down. It was too high for me to wrangle it down using our lineman's pole, although I totally wore myself out trying. It returned to get a drink and enlisted a volunteer and his two kids to help. It came down and I rewarded the kids with rocket funds. It did save the JLCR and Alt 3. Getting old sucks.

My flights:
  1. 2nd Half on a C6-3 - Nice flight as usual. I'm down to just a few of the Quest C6's :(
  2. Mini Patriot on an A10-3 - CATO! I have never had an A10 blow it's top before. I will fill out the MESS form.
  3. House of Blues Tetrahedron on an A10-3 - Good flight.
  4. Half Spool Jack-o-lantern on a C6-3 - Nice up part, but the CD lid broke. I will replace it for next Roctober.
  5. CornRoc on a C6-5 - Good flight but this one needs a -3.
  6. GI Joe on a B6-4 - I built this with my son in the late 80's and the last time it flew was in 1998. The rubber shock cord seemed ok bit was too short so I extended it a bit. It flew great.
  7. Boyce Saturn V on a C6-3 - This went cruise missile and landed hard. No damage but I think this will be a display model going forward. The previous flight at MDRA went OK. Maybe there was too little wind today? LOL.
  8. Art Applewhite 13mm Stealth on an A10-P - Nice flight.
  9. MLAS-S on an F15-6 - CR@200' - Great flight to 821'. As noted above,  it landed in a tree. I have a few dings to fix.
  10. F in Rocket on an F15-4 - CR@200' - I found my Alt3 no longer was recognized by my phone. I wonder if it got whacked by the recovery pole on the previous flight? The ejection was at apogee and it headed down awfully fast. The JLCR did its thing and saved the flight. The plastic Estes chute held together somehow but needs repair.
  11. AeroTech J1600 SU on an F15-4 - CR@200' - This 13oz rocket flew nicely on this motor.
  12. Estes Ventris on an F59-5 - CR@200' - Fast flight and good recovery!
NARHAMS 10 21 2017