Friday, July 28, 2017

Shai Hulud makeover

My Shai Hulud (a 'desert squid' style rocket) suffered two broken arms/fins/dowels on its fifth flight. I had the forethought to make the dowels removable so they could be easily replaced.  It always had some wiggle on the way up and could have benefitted from longer dowels and maybe a little more angle on them. I didn't have any other projects on the bench so I decided to go in a totally different direction. I decided to retrofit it with a leftover set of Partizon fins and cut the dowels from about 16" to 6".

Before:

20141012_114046

And, after:

20170728_144133

I now have to decide how I want to finish it. I'm tired of the brown body and am thinking about a silver metallic for the legs. That's as far as I've got.