Sunday, May 21, 2017

Launch Report 2017-3 (MDRA)

Location: Central Sod Farm, ESL-226
Weather: high of 68, wind 10+, overcast
Total flights: Today - 6; YTD - 16
Total motors: Today - 6; YTD - 17
Motors by class YTD:  B-1; C-7; D-1; E-4; F-1; G-2; I-1

This was a nice day for flying although the wind direction could have been more favorable. A lot of rockets fell near my camp but my car, my dog, and myself all escaped unscathed.  There were lots of flights including an 'L' and one of Tom Cohen's huge rockets.

I have to give an extra big shout-out to Tom. He handed me one of NewWay Rocket's downscale of his famous 'Higgs Farm' square rocket. Thanks a bunch! Hopefully, we can drag race them later in the year. I'll even drag race the full sized version :eek:

My Flights:
  1. Apollo Command/Service Module on a C11-3 - This was a finless RAIS-style experiment. It was underpowered and it was hard to determine if it had time to go unstable.
  2. Apollo Command/Service Module on a D12-5 - This was a much better flight. It had a wiggly, serpentine flight path but it did generally to in the upward direction. I've seen a similar wobble on saucer-style rockets although their's generally have a higher frequency.
  3. Mach Buster 2.0 on a C11-7 - This was a nice flight. It landed on the hard gravel parking lot and isn't too much the worse for wear. The cone looks just fine but is just a skosh less pointy.
  4. Rocketman Crusader on an I357M-10 - CR@300 - Nice boost, separation, RIP. The cone and payload section are reusable.
  5. 58mm JATO on a G74-6 - CR@300 - Nice flight, it appears the Chute Release survived the previous flight.
  6. AeroTech Cheetah on an F15-4 - Good flight.
My photos are [here].

MDRA ESL-226