Sunday, November 06, 2016

Painting woes

I had decided to paint the entire Leviathan a gunmetal gray to match the nose cone. Hopefully I can find some holographic trim locally. There's a place that carries it but they seem no not stock it well.

First, I decided to touch up the cone. It appears that I shouldn't have gotten the metallic Testors. It didn't match what I had previously used. However, this was not the real problem. I have had great luck with Testors spray and, in fact, it is my favorite brand. If it wasn't for those little cans, I'd use it exclusively. Well, this metallic broke its track record. It didn't cover uniformly at all! I also realized that a lot of my bad painting is due to shooting it in the wind. Yet, if I waited for calm days, I'd never get anything done. So, the result is a cone that appears to have three shades. Not to mention 2 spots that actually were running. It will take some light sanding and at least another coat to make it acceptable to my admittedly low standards. Now that I'm writing this stuff down, I questioning whether I should paint the body with something else.

I also primed the rest of the rocket. This went better, but I got some runs there too. To get paint on the rocket when it's breezy, I generally have to get too close. At least I anticipated sanding and recoating that!

Now, get back to what you were doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment