Saturday, November 19, 2016

Launch Report 2016-10 (MDRA)

Location: Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD, ESL-221
Weather: sunny, mid 60's, wind ~15mph
Total flights: Today - 3; YTD - 69
Total motors: Today - 6; YTD - 90
Motors by class YTD: MMX-1, 1/2A-2, A-17, B-2, C-28, D-8, E-13, F-7, G-12

Today was the cusp between a few days of warm weather and a more seasonal cold front. It was fairly windy all day. That didn't impact my flights due to the Jolly Logic Chute Release, which ensured short walks. Several rockets headed out to the next county (or state). After seeing the drift with no 'chute out, I wouldn't have tried a 6k' flight, dual deployment or not.

I only flew three times as the others I brought would surely have been lost. I was feeling wind blown so I left early. Fifteen minutes out, I noticed the clouds that were coming with the cold front. Within a half hour, there was no blue sky visible in the rear view.


My Flights
  1. Fat Boy 3x4 on 3xE9-6 + 1xD12-P - Chute Release @ 300' - All lit and the flight was successful. If you click the photo below, you can navigate around and find a video of the boost.
  2. Margin of Error on a CTI G125-5 - Chute Release @ 300' - Despite a 60" 'chute, it landed close by. That Chute Release is the best thing to come to rocketry in a long time!
  3. Estes Leviathan on a G74-6 - Chute Release @ 300' - It drifted over the shed that abuts the range head and the cone was hanging off. Lucky! 
20161119_123237