Saturday, October 15, 2016

Launch Report 2016-9 (MDRA)

Location: Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD, ESL-220
Weather: sunny, mid 60's, wind ~5
Total flights: Today - 4; YTD - 66
Total motors: Today - 4; YTD - 84
Motors by class YTD: MMX-1, 1/2A-2, A-17, B-2, C-28, D-7, E-10, F-7, G-10

This was an extremely strange launch for me. Every flight had potentially catastrophic issues but, somehow, 3 out of 4 came home unscathed. See the individual reports.

My only regret was that I had to leave before Tom Cohen's big rocket flew.

My Flights:
  1. Gene Wilder Memorial Fronkensteen Hat on an F44 -  This one supun around wildly. I have plans to re-do it for next year.
  2. Estes Mega Mosquito on an F15-4 - I didn't used the Chute Release as the wind had pretty much died out. The chute tangled and I thought it was going to be a goner. However, it was saved by a small tree. What luck!
  3. Estes Ventris on a G74-6 - Chute Release @ 200' - It took 4 tries but it had a nice high flight with ejection near apogee. The Chute Release was supposed to let go at 200'. Instead, the 'chute opened at about 20'. I assume it just took a while to shake loose (?). Amazingly, that was enough altitude to recover successfully. More luck!
  4. Standard Cray-ARM on a G185-5 - Chute Release @ 300' - I checked with AMW to make sure the forward closure wasn't one of the bad ones. It wasn't. The boost was really fast. It had a nice bonus delay which resulted in a pucker factor of 10. I was sure the delay had snuffed out. However, it ejected below the Chure Release altitude and recovered unharmed. Also lucky!
If the embedded album doesn't work, click the photo to go to Flickr:

MDRA, ESL-220