Saturday, June 18, 2016

Launch Report 2016-5 (NARHAMS)

Location: Mt Airy/NARHAMS
Weather: mid 80's, sunny, wind 0-5
Total flights: Today - 11; YTD - 49
Total motors: Today - 12; YTD - 50
Motors by class YTD: MMX-1, 1/2A-2, A-7, B-2, C-19, D-3, E-8, F-4, G-4



Today was a really great flying day, except for the 4+ foot tall grass next to the range. I had several go in and, thanks to some helpful folks, all came out. Luckily, the small ones weren't too far in and there were people right there. This was the East Coast Regional Meet (ECRM) so there were many new faces. As with any contest launch, competitors take precedence over sport fliers. However, I had to speak up on about half my flights because they were skipped.  I still maintained a good flight rate and even got revenge by causing some extra confusion.

I noted that the club has a new flight card format. I guess there are enough Chute Releases being flown to warrant their own check box and deployment altitude.

My Flights:
  1. First Flight Under Dawg on an E12-0/C11-3 -  I've flown this motor combo a couple of times but this time the boost was a little squirrelly. This sent the sustainer parts into tall trees. RIP.
  2. Lime Stiletto on an E12-6 - Good flight.
  3. Whirlygig 24 on an E12-0 - Good flight with no cato this time. However, I didn't do a great job with the repairs after the last flight  and the nose cone almost popped off. I'm going to cut the upper tube off and just let the motor poke out the top.
  4. Hat of Death on a G74-9 - Nice flight with lots of chuckles. It took 4 tries to get it up: bad igniter, user error, chuff, success!
  5. AGM-84 Harpoon on a G80-7 - Great flight. Cute release at 200' with a 50" 'chute.
  6. Cosmic Top Secret finless on a A10-3 - There was a lot of wobble after burn out and the altitude seemed lower on the previous two A10 flights. A10 date code was A011415.
  7. Tiny Tim Smoke on a C11-3 - Good flight.
  8. BNC-R1 on an F44-4 - Great flight! Chute Release at 200'.
  9. SR-2 on a C6-3 - Nice flight of this old no-wadding-required rocket.
  10. Art Applewhite Stealth D5 on a C6-0
  11. Half ASStron on a C6-3
I think this should allow you to view all my photos from today:

NARHAMS 6 18 2016 ECRM