Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Fett Boy is a pile of junk

This rocket has turning out to be a real hodgepodge of leftovers. I am low on actual rocket parts and materials. Here's what I am using:
  • The Boba Fett piggy bank - bought
  • The tube from Laphroaig single malt, 3" - scrounged
  • 3" mailing tube (length not finalized) - bought (on hand)
  • 29mm tube - leftovers
  • Ply centering rings from parts bin (overkill but I don't feel like cutting thinner ones) - bought
  • 29mm retainer - scavenged
  • Steel fishing leader - bought (on hand)
  • Kevlar/elastic - bought (on hand)
  • Basswood fins laminated with 1/64" fiberglass sheet (more below) - leftovers
  • Small eyebolt - need to buy
  • Ply bulkhead (homemade) - home made
The weight and 29mm motor would normally warrant plywood fins. I would prefer 3/32" ply but I neither had any nor do I feel like cutting them by hand. I wish I had bought a band or scroll saw 15 years ago when my building frenzy was at its peak. I looked at buying some custom ones but they would be over three times the cost of the rest of the rocket. I found some basswood but only had enough to lay them out in the worst possible orientation. I considered various strengthening options and again went with whatever I had laying around. I am currently applying 1/64" fiberglass sheet to one side. I will do something to the other side, which I hope will just be papering.