Saturday, September 19, 2015

Launch Report 2015-8 (MDRA)

Location: Central Sod Farm (MDRA ESL-207)
Weather: mid 80's, a little windy, sunny
Total flights: Today - 5; YTD - 58
Total motors: Today - 12; YTD - 69
Motors by class YTD: MMX-2; A-3; B-3; C-16; D-6; E-11; F-19; G-7; H-2

Water rocket flights (not included in the totals above): 6

The weather was pretty nice. There was more wind than I would have liked but it was across the field so most rockets stayed out of the beans and trees. There was an 'M' and an 'N' flight - something you don't often see at the sod farm. Both were 100+ lb, very large rockets so the altitude on each was low. I have photos and videos in the album linked below. I had my share of problems, including a wind-mangled easy-up. I can only blame myself.

My Flights:
  1. Standard Cray-ARM on an H550-10 - This was very fast flight to 1944 feet.
  2. Archer downscale on an F59-6 - This was a great flight too. Glad I used an F vs. a G given the wind.
  3. F-Bomb on 3 x F15 and 2 x D12 - All 7 motors went...it was never seen again.
  4. Saturn V, SA-667 on an F44-4 - The Saturn was completely stable but I only got 100-200 ft thanks to the performance robbing 38mm induction tube. I have photos and video including two of the inside of the fried induction tube.
  5. Estes MIRV on a C6-0 and three A10-3Ts - This was a really neat flight. Oddly enough, the rocket boosted cross-wind, possibly due to the loose fit of the three sustainers (?). The three RV's all flew off in slightly different directions. Unfortunately, all eyes tracked the same two RV's so the booster and third one are still in the beans. The land owner asked us to stay out of them so the search was limited.
Here is the photo album...make sure you check out the videos

20150919_134012