Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Saturn V, SA-667

This is a another post regarding the next-gen gas-stabilized(?) Saturn V, now designated the SA-667. The name is not as evil as the original, but what's in a name?

I grabbed a 3" mailing tube from the Container Store. These are the best ones because they include a full-length stuffer. I went ahead and printed the wraps. As it turned out, the tube is 3.1 OD, which required printing at 108%. Wrong. That's how the math works out but the Acrobat-to-HP printer factor wasn't included. I had to fiddle with the settings but what worked was 110%. In between, I tried 108% without margins and got something way too big. At this size, I found a suitable tube for the Service Module. That's good because I didn't want to section tubes again.

I need equal parts of design ideas and success on the original to proceed. For now, the only idea I'm pondering is to reduce the diameter of the induction tube. In the attached diagram, the left most option is the baseline (ie what I got now).  Hmmm.....

induction tube options