Saturday, July 18, 2015

Launch Report 2015-6 (NARHAMS)

Location: NARHAMS, Mt. Airy
Weather: wind variable 0-10, cloudy becoming sunny, high in the mid 80's and humid
Total flights: Today - 10; YTD - 42
Total motors: Today - 11; YTD - 46
Motors by class YTD: MMX-2; B-1; C-13; D-2; E-9; F-11; G-7; H-1

Water rocket flights (not included in the totals above): 6


Last night, it looks like it would be cloudy with storms after two PM. This morning, I was disheartened when I found it was raining. However, checking the Mt. Airy weather it looked like the rain would move out and the afternoon would be sunny...and that's what happened!

The bad part was that the surrounding grass was un-mowed and this body doesn't like walking uphill in 3' grass. In the end, I kept most out of the grass and found everything except my V-2 cone that drifted over a far tree line. I found the body with my 18mm RMS case thanks to my wife's guidance. Phew!


My Flights:
  1. Hostile Projectiles V-2 on a D13-5 - High flight that separated on ejection. Lost the cone and, after much searching, found the body. The nice resin cone os OOP but I can find a suitable replacement.
  2. Estes SDI Satellite on a B6-4 - Nice flight and I even caught it in flight (photo is below).
  3. First Flight Hobbies Under Dawg on an D12-0/C11-3 - I angled the rod to keep it out of the grass and it weather cocked even more. But, the flight was great.
  4. F-in-Rocket on an F15-4 - Nice flight with recovery on mowed grass.
  5. AlaskaPaperRocketWorks Saturn V on a C11-3 - Nice but low flight.
  6. Upscale Cluster Bomb on a G74-6 - Nice flight. Big rockets are easier to spot in that grass :)
  7. Estes Snitch on a C6-0 - This one went much higher than its Quest counterpart.
  8. Quest SPEV Saucer on a C6-0 - Not as high, but still nice.
  9. Half ASStron Super-roc on a C6-3 - Despite it not having a 'chute or streamer, it sure drifts a lot. Once again, my lovely wife spotted it in the grass.
  10. Art Applewhite Stealth D5 on a C6-3 -  Nice!
Here's the mid-80's vintage SDI Satellite in flight. The rest of my photos are here.

20150718_133713