Sunday, July 12, 2015

Launch Report 2015-5 (MDRA)

Location: MDRA, Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD (ESL-205)
Weather: wind 0-5, sunny/hazy, high in the mid 80's
Total flights: Today - 7; YTD - 32
Total motors: Today - 9; YTD - 35
Motors by class YTD: MMX-2; C-7; E-9; F-10; G-6; H-1

Water rocket flights (not included in the totals above): 6


The weather was hot but the skies and wind were cooperative. Unfortunately, the wind took lots of rockets into the rocket-eating soybeans. I will have to plan my launches carefully for the rest of the summer. All mine at least eventually came out. Others were not so lucky.

My wife once again came to help with the easy-up. And she was critical in rocket recovery. See below.

Dr. Zooch, Wes Oleszewski, was there with volume #1 of his new book, Growing Up with Spaceflight. Big hat tip to Bob Utley for supplying me with a copy! Wes also had some new models, a forthcoming payload kit and his new ASTP Saturn 1B and ASTP Soyuz. This July 15th will be the 40th anniversary of the ASTP launches.

I ended up scrubbing the F-Bomb rack rocket. It appears I placed the launch lug in line with an outboard D12. D'OH! I hate it when that happens. I also scrubbed the flight of the NCR Archer downscale. I was worried about those beans and was pretty baked anyway.

My Flights:
  1. Centaurus on an F59-6 - This was a quick flight. The 30" chute came out on cue and it landed in the soybeans.
  2. Inductor on an F35-4 - This flight was longer than the previous but ended the same. That is, it was stable off the pad, got a little wobbly at the end of the burn, and the went head over heals during coast. So, it appears induction stabilization is working when a lot of exhaust mass is flowing. However, at best you don't get much altitude because there is no coast phase. This makes it a poor use of an F motor IMO. I was surprised that the induction tube is sooty but not burned. I got a very bad video of the launch, there should be a better one coming in a few weeks.
  3. Saturn V, SA-666 on an F44-4 - This was a wobbly flight that almost was lost to the soy beans. With my wife standing at a reference point, she was able to guide me to it. I need to put the FRS radios back in the range box! This model must have either been really draggy or Mr. Krushnik was at work. It didn't get any where near the altitude that it should of. On this one also, the induction tube was just a little sooty. However, the paper nozzles hang into the line of the tube and they are a little worse for wear. This model is also retired.
  4. El Tubo Loco on a G64-4 - Nice flight. The motor cracked and popped a little like a sparky. Don't ever remember seeing this before, and I have flown a LOT of G64s. My AltimeterThree says 544'.
  5. Thoy Snipe on 3 x E9-6 - Nice flight. AltimeterThree reports 667'.
  6. Art Applewhite USAF Saucer on an F15 - Nice flight. Almost landed on AMW's camp.
  7. LollyPOP in a QC6-3 -  This saucer-like thing did spin, but it was way too heavy and draggy. Ejection was into the sod.
As usual, the photos are on Flickr.