Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Launch Report 2015-2 (solo water rocket)

Location: MoCo Agricultural History Farm Park
Weather: calm, hazy, 80 degrees
Total flights: Today - 0; YTD - 12
Total motors: Today - 0; YTD - 12
Motors by class YTD: MMX-2; C-5; E-3; F-2

Water rocket flights (not included in the totals above): 6

After seeing a post by Chris Michielssen, I decided it was time to fly a few water rockets. My first launch site choice was full of workers. The second was full of toddlers. Then I remembered the Agricultural History Farm Park. Plenty of room and hardly any car traffic. It is perfect!

Due to a brain fart, I didn't use enough water the first two flights, although that didn't make much of a difference.

Flights:

  1. AquaShuttle 400mL @ 80 psi - The flight was successful despite it's low altitude. While it was low, it wasn't slow - one of the pressure fit fin units came out under boost.
  2. Un-named 2L backslider 400mL @ 90 psi - This is set up to have water ballast, although I didn't use any. This was just fine as it is stable without it. I really winged the backsliding analysis and, as a result, it came in nose first and fast. Stubby backsliders are harder than long ones.
  3. FTC-1 400mL @ 90 psi - This is a nice flier and comes down parallel to the ground.
  4. Quest 1L water rocket 100mL at 90 psi - Good flight but I didn't see the up part, just the landing.
  5. Quest 1L water rocket 200mL at 90 psi - On the larger water volume, the rocket headed off at a steep angle. On the Quest launcher, less is more.
  6. Hand held water rocket adapted for the Quest launcher - I don't know the rocket's volume but used 2 capfuls from a filler that came with a modern version of this rocket. It pressurized super fast..I turned on the pump and pulled the cord as soon as I got to it. This time, it flew fairly nicely.
My photos of the launch (includes a shot of the rocket from flight #6.)