Tuesday, December 16, 2014

SS Cestris build, part 5

I had had a gloomy outlook about the prospects of painting this rocket...but then the weather warmed a bit.  I now am optimistic about getting it painted before the New Year. I will shoot one more coat of primer and then on to the gloss white overcoat.  The decals and final nose weight assessment can wait for the inevitable frigid days.

I had made a few insinuations that I was concerned about the toughness of the kit, specifically the wings and nose cone. Once assembled with the dowel stiffeners (not shown), the wings seem fine for a modroc. I also am not that worried about the plastic part of the cone, but my concern about the eye hook pulling out of the ply bulkhead remains. As I mentioned I doubled the length of the underwear shock cord, which mitigates that concern.

I'm thinking a D12-5 for the first flight, and E12 down the line. On a very still day.