Monday, May 05, 2014

Dumpster diving for water rocket parts

On the eve of our recycling pickup, I went 'dumpster diving'. Luckily, these dumpsters are small and manageable. I managed to scrape up five, 2L bottles and a 1L from Dean and Deluca sparkling water. These should allow me to complete the airframe for my 4 x 2L rocket and make the grandkids some goofy rockets.

I noticed that the Coca Cola-branded bottle doesn't have flat sides. The middle has a straight section that appears to be slightly smaller than the more standard flat sided bottles. I might use that for the 4 x 2L rocket.

I find the Dean and Deluca bottle is rebranded from Boreal. It has an interesting, sleek design that could have many uses, from a 1L rocket to a nose cone. I'll have to think about that one.


I also need to continue searching for more timers. Tick, tock.