Saturday, January 04, 2014

Mega Mosquito - all done but the spraying (hopefully)

Well, since the last update, I finished up the basic build. Given the frigid temperatures we are expecting here, it appears that it might be April before it sees primer and paint. I probably have a tad of sanding before that point.

As I mentioned earlier, I chose to paper the fins using full page label stock. Just when I think I have that process down, I find that I've been fooling myself. I left the fins under pressure overnight and applied thin CA to the entire surface. The next morning, the paper was curling in several spots on all three fins. :eek:  I then beveled the edges slightly, reapplied CA, and then rubbed the edges down with a plastic tube to try to keep the paper in place. So far, so good. The next test will be to see what happens when I hit them with primer.

I installed the fins with 5-minute epoxy and added SuperFil fillets radiused with an 18mm composite motor. I will see how the fins look tomorrow morning. Hopefully, there is no further curling.



I had a blob of the SuperFil left over and did some real-time design on the nose cone. I chopped the bottom off to allow the addition of nose weight and to allow the parachute to reside in the nose should a long motor be used. I drilled a 1/8" hole through the cone's tip and inserted a dowel of suitable diameter. The dowel was fed through a loop in a short piece of Kevlar. I then dropped the remaining SuperFil into the cone and worked it around the dowel edges and up to the cone's tip. Once it set, I cut the dowel off flush and filled the imperfections with Testor's plastic filler.



Given the mods that I had made, I assumed more nose weight would be required. However, with a 24" 'chute half-way into the nose cone, the rocket comes in at 8.25 oz with a CG of about 9.5 inches. Once an F15 is loaded, the CG-CP compares well with a stock kit. So, I think I'm good to go. On the F15, it will need a long rail...no problemo!