Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Launch Report 2014-1

Location: My driveway
Weather: sunny, 9 degrees with wind chill of -1, wind variable
Total flights: Today - 3; YTD - 3
Total motors: Today - 3; YTD - 3
Motors by class YTD: MMX-1, A-2

I generally refuse to fly when the weather is under 50 degrees. However, as you can guess, I suffered a bad case of the rocket launch DT's. So, I found a pack of A10-P's and a few low-flying saucer-like rockets. I found my Quest MMX saucer with my Pratt controller so I loaded it up too.These include (L-to-R) a 6-sided blue/pink Art Applewhite Hex, a yellow Art Applewhite Cinco, a Quest MMX Alien UFO, A Truax M.A.G.P.I.E., and an orange Art Applewhite Qubit.



I started with the Quest saucer and set the pad in the snow. This seemed like a good way to adjust the rod angle. One clip broke off so I had to rush into the Dungeon to replace it. The launch went well. If you use the navigation arrows above, you can see a few more photos from today.

Next up was the M.A.G.P.I.E. I had moved the pad to the tarmac and decided to place a snowball under the rocket just for kicks. The up-part was fine but the rocket disappeared into the deep fluffy snow in a neighbor's yard (or maybe on his roof). The M.A.G.P.I.E. is lost and will undoubtedly be ruined in the snow melt. Ah well, I can always print another. I took a photo of the snowball after the launch but it is unimpressive.

I readjusted the launch angle to more of a vertical direction and loaded the Cinco on an A10-P. It flew almost straight up and I just knew it would recover. WRONG! After burnout, the rocket also blew onto the neighbor's roof.  This time, I saw the landing and the resulting hole. I was numb and frustrated and cancelled the remaining flights. Now I remember why I only launch is warmer weather. At least the shakes are gone :)