Saturday, November 16, 2013

Launch Report 2013-10

Location: Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD (MDRA ESL-186)
Weather: overcast with low ceiling; temperature in lower 50's, wind 0 - 3
Total flights: Today - 8; YTD - 71
Total motors: Today - 24; YTD - 90
Motors by class YTD: Air-5, MMX-3, A-10, B-3, C-30, D-7, E-13, F-13, G-8, H-3


We were again located on the field across John Brown, however, the corn was now harvested. Except for the low cloud ceiling, the weather was great. Cool but not cold. And, better yet, very low wind!

I flew five of the new F15s and two of the E16s.  All went well.  I gave most of the empty cases to John Ritz who'll load them up with leftover APCP. He said he'd give me one for the Hat Of Death at Red Glare.

My flights:
  1. Frankenstein Big Daddy on 3 x F15-6 - This takes the cake for the rocket that had been on my bench the longest and I was happy to get it into the air. The boost was slow and majestic as it disappeared, for what seemed like an eternity, in the cloud bank. It finally reappeared ("We've never left one up there yet" - Neil McG) and recovered close to the pads.
  2. Gone Batty on 4 x D12-5 - I missed the October MDRA launch but the rocket was prepped, so... The up part went well but no 'chute came out. I blame the Joker rocket on the adjacent pad.
  3. Art Applewhite 6" Saucer on a F39 (maybe) - Since I lost my 2nd 24/40 case, I thought I'd try installing my remaining F39 reload in a spent Estes 29mm case. I included the delay but would never trust an actual rocket with this thing. So, it went in a saucer. I put in the charge just to see if it would work.It flew GREAT! And, the charge fired on the way down.
  4. MLAS-S on an F15-4 - Nice flight and perfect recovery.
  5. F in Rocket on an F15-4 - This one flew into the clouds so I didn't see the ejection. It sounded early to me. In any event, it recovered really close to the pads.
  6. 12-Pack on 6 x C6-5 and 6 x A8-3 - Another slow, majestic and smokey flight. Very nice.
  7. Sacrificial Bertha on an E16-8 - I had wanted to fly this on an F15 but found that I had grabbed the wrong motor. It went high into the clouds and was gone for a really long time. Suddenly, it appeared and landed softly close to my car. 
  8. Estes Majestic on an E16-6 - Nice flight, short walk.
Here's one photo, my whole album can be viewed here.

Gone Batty boosting to its death