Monday, August 12, 2013

It's a sad day for rocketry - Carl McLawhorn has passed

This morning, we learned that Carl passed away last night. For my readers who don't know him, he was a long time sport rocketeer and for the past several years, with his wife Sheryl, was running Semroc Astronautics Corporation. Semroc provides a humongous array of reissued classic kits and components. Their service is impeccable. I like to joke that their ordering system is prescient - they deliver your order almost before you even completed it. He was also a great supporter of the hobby. At NARAM-50 he organized the 'Sky of Gold' project. Everyone who flew a Golden Scout at NARAM was provided a classically packaged 'Red Scout' and a certificate signed by Vern and Gleda Estes and postmarked in Penrose, CO (the home of Estes). When I lost my Golden Scout at NARAM (only I could do that), Carl sent me a replacement without me even asking. He was that kind of guy.

Ad Astra!

Golden Scout 1199