Sunday, July 14, 2013

Launch Report 2013-4

Location: Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD (MDRA ESL-182)
Weather: 88 degrees, felt like 98; mostly sunny; wind from 0 to 10 mph
Total flights: Today - 6 ; YTD - 22
Total motors: Today - 7; YTD - 24
Motors by class YTD: MMX-2, B-1, C-4, E-8, F-3, G-3, H-3

The weather turned out really nice. It was hot and humid, but it is summer after all. For the first time, we were on a field to the left as you drive in on John Brown. The field still had swampy areas and I had to park quite a ways from the last car on the flight line. However, by the end of the day several other fliers joined me, including Wes 'Dr. Zooch' Oleszewski. 

The back of the line was against a large, high corn field and there were high trees down range. Luckily, the wind was low and most fliers stayed away from both the corn and trees. Somehow, I didn't land in the swamp today either. I did have two big ejection problems that resulted in pieces of rocket being strewn across the field.  See the logs below for the details. 

Ron Hill gave me the carcass of a fireworks rocket that has a really nice fin can. The build posts should start soon.

My Flights:
  1. El Tubo Loco on a G64-4 - The boost was great but there was no ejection. I KNOW I added the charge! The cone stuck deep in the soft ground, the tube fins all sheared off, and the main body was toast. The fins are reusable so I just need a need piece of body tube to rebuild her.
  2. Ringer on a G64-4 - The boost was nice, ejection was nose down, and recovery was good.
  3. Never Say Never on an H135-6 - The wind had picked up and the rocket weather cocked a lot. The 6 second delay was way too long and it ejected just before impact. The large parachute opened and gave the nose cone a nice soft landing. one tube fin assembly needs to be replaced but it can otherwise be reassembled. However, I'm leaning towards letting this one RIP.
  4. Hat of Death on an F26-P  -  Great flight, as usual.
  5. Whirlygig24 on an E12-P - Another crowd pleaser.
  6. BNC-R1 on an E12-4 - The first motor blew its nozzle. Since Estes sent me a 3-pack when I had my first E12 CATO, this one was on me. I loaded another motor and that one worked. The boost was really slow but there was no sign of instability. It ejected at apogee and recovered perfectly.
Today's photos:

El Tubo Loco - before.

I had to park on the other bank of the swamp.

El Tubo Loco boosting.

Cropped version.
 
The El Tubo Loco debris field.

Nose cone stuck deep in the sod.

BNC-R1.

BNC-R1 close-up.


Nozzle end of the CATO.

Ejection plug is still there.

A Dr. Zooch high-speed video test. I'll post his video when it is up.

Whirlygig-24.

Someone's spool on an H sparky.

Whirlygig-24.

Whirlygig launch cropped.

Ringer.


Ringer launch.

Hat of Death.

Never Say Never.

Fin detail.

Never Say Never boosting.

And, another debris field!