Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Launch Report 2013-3 (solo)

Location: The Original Rocket Dungeon
Weather: hot
Total flights: Today - 2; YTD - 16
Total motors: Today - 2; YTD - 17
Motors by class YTD: MMX-2, B-1, C-4, E-5, F-2, G-1, H-2

I began investigating my igniter problems from the last MDRA launch. Verily, I found the failed igniters all read ~45 ohms. This was low enough to show continuity on the meter I borrowed on site (which was even more el-cheapo than my $4 CenTech from Harbor Freight) but high enough that they wouldn't fire. They must have been right at the nexus of showing continuity on the MDRA launch system. I have made close to 300 of those (minus the handful in the range box) and before that have only had 2-3 failures. Now there were four in a row that were bad. What makes this really weird is that I check their impedance at 2 points in the manufacturing process.

I re-dipped a couple and made a couple of new ones from bulk 30AWG wire. The weirdness continues as the re-dipped ones read about 5 ohms. Not bad but higher than I historically get. The other two read 10-15 ohms or so. I think the Dungeon is in the Twilight Zone.

Anyway, one of the 5 ohm and one of the 10+ ohm igniters burned fine. I also tested one of three that I made at the last Warthog Build Session, and that worked. I used a portable car battery and my GO-BOX for the firing duties.

While I was at it, I launched two quick MicroMaxx rockets. Not much of a launch, but I guess it still qualifies.

  1. Quest Alien UFO - Nice manageable flight for my backyard.
  2. SpaceShipOne paper model conversion - What a brick. It only reached an altitude of a few feet.

MicroMaxx Alien UFO 003SpaceShipOne