Friday, August 03, 2012

Lenticular Reentry Vehicle (LRV)

Fellow rocketeer Sascha Grant has pointed me to an interesting eBay action, which purports to be a big bag-o-parts for a lenticular aircraft. You can 'buy it now' for a mere mega-buck! A simple web search identifies the attached photo as the Lenticular Reentry Vehicle (LRV).  Military.com has an article about the LRV, which originated from a 2000 Popular Mechanics article. This is confirmed by the Wikipedia article.  I haven't previously posted about this design (see all my posts on lenticular bodies).  Like all the others I've talked about, the LRV arose out of the 1960's military industrial complex.  While I find these cool, none of them panned out.

Reportedly, the LRV was developed by North American Aviation with the help of transplanted WWII-era German engineers. It was declassified in 1999 and there has never been official confirmation or conclusive evidence that the LRV ever flew.  It seems unlikely the parts for one would be for sale on eBay, but who am I to say?  In any event, real flying saucers are COOL!