Friday, May 11, 2012

The ultimate paint incompatibility (?) [updated]

Update: This post is likely an over reaction on my part. Follow the "...Tips" tag at the bottom to see the follow up posts.

Reminder to self: NEVER buy another can of Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X primer!

I have had some problems with this primer but this tops them all.  When finishing my Air Serpent, I used epoxy fillets and filled the fins with Fill'n'Finish.  After sanding and wiping down, I shot on a coat of the aforementioned primer and left it for a couple of days.  So far, so good.  I filled a few defects with more Fill'n'Finsh and left the project for 2 or three days.  Today, I shot on touch-up coat of primer and the stupid stuff crazed!  It didn't craze on the Fill'n'Finish or epoxy before so am I to assume that it isn't compatible with itself?  If I were a finish purist, I think my head would have exploded.  Luckily, I don't care that much and will use up what I have.