Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Big Daddy post flight ramblings

As I mentioned in Sunday's launch report, I flew the 29mm-powered Big Daddy on a G40-10.  I didn't build it to specifically fly on G class motors, but somewhere along the line I added enough nose weight so it could (relative to the CP/CG).  By not planning for such a flight, I didn't reinforce the balsa fins.  I also opted for a 6" x 60" streamer vs. a parachute.

I thought I had determined that the streamer should have been sufficient (today RockSim is acting up with streamers). As it turned out, the streamer coiled itself tightly along the shock cord and thus wasn't very effective.  It came down the cone first with the body trailing behind.

One fin cracked badly but I have glued it back together. The glue joints are probably stronger than the surrounding balsa.

The next flight will probably be on a smaller motor so I could opt for a real parachute vs. a streamer.  However, I would like to see what would happen with a fully deployed streamer.  I guess I'll see how I feel when this one bubbles back up in my flight queue.  (The downside of having so many built rockets as I don't have the chance to fly them all very often).