Saturday, February 18, 2012

Feed reader stars, tweets and other interesting links

Warning...time sensitive tweet alert! Your Cellphone May be Smarter Than Mars Science Lab - NASA Watch - Keith quotes a NASA employee who notes his cell phone has 12x more computing power than the Curiosity rover. Back in the late 90's I heard the lines of code that went into a cell phone back then. I wish I remembered the number but I do remember we were amazed. That was well before phones were 'smart'. Keith also (slightly) bashes NASA for being too conservative in the tech used their flight hardware. I also remember a meeting with the head R&D guy for Intelsat. They were doing some neat stuff. He noted, however, that whatever they flew in their satellites was several generations old, because the older tech was more proven. Still, R&D pressed on. Just some observations.