Thursday, December 01, 2011

The Tree, revealed

Here are a couple of shots of my yet unnamed entry into the MDRA Christmas Tree launch 2011 (trees from 2011, to be held in 2012).  I found a stash of circular color coded stickers.  Unfortunately, I ran out.  I had enough to finish 2 1/2 out of 4 sides.  I printed out some replacements to finish off the one side and applied a bunch of missile-aneous stickers to the 4th side.  The gaps in the latter are awaiting MDRA stickers that I'll pick up at the next launch.



The rocket has 4 canted 24mm mounts.  If it flies perfectly straight in calm winds, it could survive the motor burn.  However, if it spins it will likely suffer fatal damage to the foamboard.  Right now it has lawn dart recovery.  I will try to add some recovery system to at least destabilize the recovery.