Thursday, August 25, 2011

Zoomie P-51D, update 2

I have attached the the wings, fins and all related structures.  Along the way, I readjusted the cockpit and intake sections.  They looked OK but sat too far forward (stability issue).  Next, I added some sections of FirstFire tubes under each wing.  Either will work as a launch lug on 3/16" or 1/4" rods.  They look ordinance-like, so they should fit in well enough. Finally, I settled on a 2.125" plywood disk, cut in half, for the wing mounted 'landing gear'.

I cut some dowel strips to emulate the engine exhausts. I haven't attached them yet since they may be easier to paint separately.  Daddyisabar used launch lugs on his P-40E and I thought the result was good.

That will leave nose weight, recovery harness and finishing.  I hope to get some primer on before the weekend and Irene.