Sunday, August 07, 2011

Launch Report 2011-4

Location: GSFC Visitors Center (NARHAMS)
Weather: clear, mid 90s, wind 0-5 MPH
Total flights: Today - 10; YTD - 38
Total motors: Today - 10; YTD - 50

This is the first time I have attended one of the Goddard public launches so I didn't know what to expect.  The site is about as far away as the main NARHAMS field, the impulse is limited to single stage 'D' power, and they only fly for an hour.  Still, I had gathered all of my mini-motor rockets and thought this would be a good venue for them.  Ed Pearson handled LCO duties in an entertaining manner and Jennifer Ash-Poole provided the launch briefing and acted as RSO (she also made use of her GSFC badge to recover the few that strayed on base).  Two others worked as pad managers and an intern from the GSFC Visitors Center collected rockets from the roof.  There was a good turn out of kids and I was the only gray beard flying.  Jennifer also had a box-o-rockets for the kids who didn't have their own.  I flew 5 rockets in the designated launch window and Ed graciously let me have a round mostly unto myself at the end.  It was fun but I probably still won't be a regular.  The field has trees on 2 sides, a barbed wire fence in back, and the visitor center in front.  Too small for most of my flying.  It was fun to see the real rockets in the rocket park and I was highly disappointed that I forgot my camera.

My Flights:
  1. Mini-V2 (A10-3)
  2. Mini Marz Lander (A10-3)
  3. Skinny Mini (A10-3)
  4. Mini Patriot (A10-3)
  5. Cognis Eenie Meanie (A10-3)
  6. Little Joe I paper conversion (A10-3)
  7. Art Applewhite Saucer (A10-P)
  8. Odd'l Birdie (A10-P) 
  9. Estes Snitch (C6-0)
  10. Quest Area 51 SPEV Saucer (C6-0)