Saturday, July 16, 2011

Launch Report 2011-3

Location: Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD (MDRA ESL-158)
Weather: clear, mid 80s, wind 5-10 MPH
Total flights: Today - 7; YTD - 28
Total motors: Today - 7; YTD - 40

The weather was nearly perfect today.  Lighter winds would have been better but at least the wind's direction kept the rockets out of the tall corn.  Moving to another launch location also helped.  A scout troop came out and kept the two LPR racks quite busy.  I flew the three rockets that needed these pads in a single round before the scouts were geared up.


My Flights:
  1. MRBR-1 on an D24-5 - In spite of my best efforts in RockSim, this was unstable, underpowered, or both.  GIGO I reckon.
  2. Never Say Never on an H165-4 - This fat junk rocket really caught everyone's attention.  I'm sure glad it flew well.  Lower than the sim, but successful.  At least the boost and initial recovery were good.  The big 60" parachute inflated on the ground and dragged it a bit.  A little glue on the leading edges of the tube fins and some paint and it will be as good as new.
  3. Ankyo234 on a D11-P - For this try, I reduced the size of the forward fins.  It flew nicely but didn't bounce satisfactorily.  Still, an interesting, really simple rocket.
  4. Eiffel Tower on an Estes C6-3 -I added a soft foam plug to the semi-sharp wooden tip just in case it was unstable.  It flew very nicely.
  5. Birdhouse V1 on a G71-4 - Great flight.  This was my last G71, which are now out of production.  I never noticed any problem with them.
  6. Whirlygig-24 on an E9-P -  Always cool!
  7. Art Applewhite 7.5" USAF Saucer 9mm on a  G75-P - Nice sparky flight.