Saturday, August 13, 2011

Launch Report 2011-5

Location: Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD (MDRA ESL-159)
Weather: partly-rainy, high70s, wind ~5 MPH
Total flights: Today - 10; YTD - 48
Total motors: Today - 13; YTD - 63

I almost blew off the launch as I sat and watched the rain pour down at home.  However, the forecast for the Eastern Shore was better so I went.  I'm glad that I did.  It rained twice, once for about 5 minutes and once for about 15.  Other than that, it was cool and the wind was generally light. My two foam rubber rockets (#2 and #3, below) were on the pad throughout the longer downpour.  Although their general construction is impervious to dihydrogen monoxide, the motors aren't.  This proved not to be a problem as both flew nicely.

The somewhat disturbing looking rocket shown in the photo had one of the more amusing flights.  It went up on an E75.  The boost was so fast and short that it didn't have a chance to be unstable.

My Flights:

  1. Thoy Snipe on 3x E9-6 - Nice long burn with ejection at apogee.  The walk was very reasonable. The wind was light and pointed the rockets toward a large field of mowed grass.
  2. Ankyo234-2 on a D12-3 - Now, featuring streamer recovery! Worked as planned.
  3. Give 'em the Finger on an A10-P -  Boink! (also as planned)
  4. Eenie Meaner on a C6-0 staged to an A10-3 -  This really ripped off the pad and went out of sight.  The Eenie Meanie sustainer was recovered intact but the booster was damaged.
  5. Art Applewhite Stealth D5 (original version) on a C6-3 - I dragged raced the new and old versions of this rocket (both beta test versions that I converted to 18mm).  I couldn't tell the difference in terms of spin rate or altitude.  However, the motor on the old version was discolored, which probably indicates a higher spin rate.
  6. Art Applewhite Stealth D5 (new version) on a C6-3 -  This revised version should have a lower spin rate and thus should have out performed the original.  As mentioned above, I couldn't tell.
  7. Yarn Cone Nonami on an E15-7 - Good flight.  Ejection was after apogee.
  8. Iron Man on a C11-3 - Nice flight, rough landing.  I need to reattach one fin and two of the non-functional boosters.
  9. Hat of Death on an E9-4 - The crowd loved it (again).
  10. Cluster Bomb on a G64-6 - Great flight but with late ejection.  'Chute tangled, one fin was totally destroyed. 
P.S. - I wore my Rocketry Planet tee shirt today!