Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Never Say Never

That's the probable name for my new project, the concept of which was hatched since my early morning post.  In that post, I poo-poo'ed the idea of using coffee bins for a rocket.  Or, it might be called the Recipe for Disaster.

Take the leftover guts from my destroyed Grand Whazoo.  Mix in the cone from my Birdhouse, V2 (also dead). Start slicing up four, 9" tall Folgers bins.  The only part I haven't figured out is the fins.

The guts of the Grand Whazoo include a 29mm motor/stuffer tube, complete with a lower plywood ring and bolts for motor retention.  This is centered in a 4" parachute tube.  There are three foam rings already installed.  It turns out the lowest foam ring, which was part of the Grand Whazoo's tail cone, fit nicely in a coffee bin.  So, I drilled a hole for the motor mount and retention bolts in the base of one bin.  The assembly is installed from the inside and the retention bolts also are used secure the plywood thrust plate to the base of the plastic bin.

A hole saw and grinder make a 4" hole in another bin.  The upper foam rings are cut to fit in-situ and the 2nd bin is slid down into place.  Since this is going to be an odd, Frankenstein-like kludge, flame-patterned duct tape is used to connect the bins.

The wooden cone from the Birdhouse, V2 has a shoulder to fit the 4" tube and is pretty close to the diameter of the bins. Bingo!

Fins, who knows?  They will be through-the-wall, sandwiched between centering rings, and bonded to the motor tube.  The coffee bin won't provide much support.  Since this is fat, I can keep the flight profile tame so the fins should have no problem in the up direction.  Landing may be another story.

Well, at least this should keep me off the streets.