Tuesday, May 31, 2011

ROCKETS Magazine, April 2011

I'll start with what I think was the most significant news contained within the pages of this issue.  In a short but deep article, David Chance reflects on how "rocketry can teach you lessons about life."  Among the various stories, he relates that just a few days after Red Glare IX, which was set up to raise money for the Maryland affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, his wife was diagnosed.  I was shocked and my thoughts and prayers immediately went out to my rocket compadre, his wife, and the rest of his family.  I first searched in vain for his email addy and decided to say something here.  At the time of writing, things were up in the air and I hope are now headed firmly towards a positive outcome!  This may be oldish news to MDRA'ers who actually attend launches.  At any rate, hopefully I'll be attending them soon and will hear the updates.  Hang in the Skycopp, we're thinking of your here in the Dungeon.

Here's what else is in there:
  • Frank Hermes has the 4th installment about his coast optimization system.  At the end of the article there is a brief ad for Rocket Electronic's RockeTiltometer.  I don't know how this relates to Frank's work, but it strives for the same goals: make sure your rocket is pointed up when the upper stage ignites and optimize the coast time for maximum performance.
  • John Ritz shows you how to preserve your shock tethers with some strategically placed bungee cord.
  • There's a long report on ARG8 and short photo essays on an NCR launch and NARAM 52.
  • Build articles on the 5.5" Hanger 11 Harpoon kit and Performance Rocketry 4" Mad Dog.
  • A photo how-to on building a Jeff Jakob EX nozzle. I've heard of Jeff but not his nozzle.  EX'ers would be interested.
  • There's an analysis of the Estes A10-PT motor.  The upshot is that they have about 75% of the impulse that Estes claims  (1.89 Ns v. 2.5 Ns).  Nothing unxpected here.