Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Amazing Astrophotography


I'm sure most of you have seen this amazing photograph of the Earth's 2 largest satellites (one natural and one man made) silhouetted against the moon.  It was featured on NASA's APOD and has made it way swiftly through the blogaverse.  You can click the image to see a bigger version, or you can go to Thierry Legault's page and see the full sized version. (Identification of said satellites is obvious and is left to the reader.)

I was curious and made my way to Thierry's Astrophotography site.  WOW!  This guy's stuff is fantastic.  I haven't dug very deep but was equally awestruck by the newest items alone. 

For instance, these photos of the December 21st Lunar eclipse with an ISS transit thrown in for good measure. I've seen tons of nice eclipse photos but none have as nice a backdrop as Mont Saint Michel.




And Thierry also provided me the opportunity to verify that Blogger now supports animated GIFs:


I could go on, but leave the rest of the exploring to you! (Images used with permission.)

P.S. - You should also check out the solar eclipse pics on The Big Picture!