Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Too Rolling (Red)Stoned status

Planning for the Too Rolling (Red)Stoned has hit a snag.  My current worry is that this thing can get heavy fast.  Even with paper, cardboard tubes and foam board.  I want to fly it on the 29/180 case and I figure around 6 lb loaded will be as heavy as I'll want to go given the diameter.  Just looking that the Grand Whazoo ended up being 3.6lb loaded with an H165, the 6lb target may be reasonable.  But then again it may not be.  If I build it and it goes much over, I'd need a heftier 24mm motor.  Easy to handle if you want to buy a casing, which I don't want to do for a supposedly cheap rocket.  Or I could shift gears and go for a 38mm motor mount.  Also doable, but I just plain would like to stick with the tinier motor.  No real reason, except keeping it light was one of the things I wanted to do with this build.  So, that's where I'm at. Build the lower half as planned and see where it stands or upgrade the motor now.  Hmm.

The cost of a build like this is also hard to figure.  Of the stuff I'm buying, some will be left over for future projects.  Some will be from on-hand stock or recycled - does that count?  My current guess is that I've committed about $27 of new materials, including a new 29mm tube.