Saturday, August 14, 2010

Launch Report 2010-9

Location: Central Sod Farm, Centreville, MD (MDRA ESL-147)
Weather: mostly sunny, low 80's, wind 5mph - 10mph
Total flights: Today - 10; YTD - 78
Total motors: Today - 13; YTD - 104

The wind was not as bad as expected and was in a reasonably favorable direction.  It started at about 5mph and reaching 10mph by mid-afternoon.  I sat with Warthog and Itchy.  I swapped an H165R load for one with a delay.  Evidently there was a short time after the AT fire when they shipped without delays.  Kenny made it right.  I also received a new Monster Motors 29/40-120 case - thanks Don!

My Flights
  1. The Grand Whazoo on an H165-5 -  I touched it up a bit and added replacement 'Cheesecake' fin artwork.  Jinx - I suffered my first blow-by.  It ejected right after the last photo in the flight sequence shown below.  Dead.
  2. Heavenly Hobbies Resistor 224 on two C11-3's - Ejection was early and the rocket flew through the 'chute, which tangled.  No damage.
  3. Heavenly Hobbies Resistor 224 on two D12-5's - This was a much more satisfying flight.  Ejection was at apogee. I used an undersized 18" 'chute due to the wind.  The fillet on one fin is cracked.  Thin CA will take care of it.
  4. Heavenly Hobbies Backdraft on an E9-4/C11-3 - This was the 4th flight on this motor combination and again used 7.25" of fuse. This model guarantee's high pucker-factor flights and it didn't disappoint.  Great flight but, as usual, parts came off.  I lost the parachute cap and the Kevlar twine on the cone snapped.
  5. Hat of Death on an F24-P - Flight number 56.
  6. Quest FLICS MMX on a MicroMaxx - This is my second rubber band powered FLICS converted for powered flight.  The smallest motor at ESL-147!
  7. Quest FLICS  - Lucky 13 on an A10-3 - This one used the dregs of a Paul Miller 13mm rocket.  It flew cross-wind and was fast.  I saw the ejection event but didn't see it again until it was found.
  8. Airship R-100 on an A10-P - This is a paper model of a dirigible.  It was soooo underpowered for MicroMaxx that I never bothered with active recovery.  I decided to install a 13mm mount scrounged, once again, from my Paul Miller box-o-dead-rockets. Still nothing but tumble recovery. Ignition was oddly late and the boost was a huge corkscrew.  Tumble recovery was actually lawn dart recovery.  Dead.
  9. Spikor on a G64-8 -  The wind was lighter than expected so I flew her on the 'G'.  Great boost with ejection near apogee.
  10. MRC IronMan on a C11-3 - Nice flight but the cone separated again.  Needs a big piece of elastic on the end of the short Kevlar cord.


Find more photos like this on Our Planet