Weather: overcast, mid 80's, humid, wind 5mph
Total flights: Today - 12; YTD - 90
Total motors: Today - 14; YTD - 118
This was a great day and was made all the better with the attendance of my wife and Jerry. The wind wasn't bad but, as usual, it took the rockets towards the tree line. Mine avoided the trees but one fell prey to the long, un-mowed grass in the far field. Only one rack was set up with pad 6 running the 'away cell'. Luckily, a huge group of scouts didn't show up. The flight rate was good with no waiting.
- Semroc V-2 on a Quest B6-4 - Respectable altitude.
- Quest MLAS on an Estes C6-3 - Nice flight but with late ejection. My form-fitted car air bag 'chute protector worked perfectly.
- BNC R1 on an E20-4 - Really nice straight boost. Unfortunately, it separated. The nose drifted into the far field and was lost in the long grass. The body fell flat into long grass on the near side of the tree line and is repairable. I'll miss my custom balsa cone and 'chute.
- MRC Iron Man on a C11-3 - Nice flight with apogee perfect ejection.
- Skinny Mini on an A10-3 - Fast flight. I didn't see it until it was landing.
- Model Minutes XFLR-7 on a C11-3 - Nice boost with an easily visible slow roll. As is getting common, the 'chute didn't open. No damage thanks to the long grass.
- Shrox SHX-15 on a C11-5 - Nice swooping boost as usual. The delay was a bit long.
- First Flight Under Dawg on a D12-0/C11-3 - The boost was really slow with a lot of arcing. This happened on the prior flight but the prior stage flight was fine. Anemic D12-0's? Poopy clay? Anyway, it went far down range and was recovered by my wife and a volunteer (since I had taken over as LCO).
- Estes Paveway III on a Quest C6-5 - Nice flight. I angled the rod to keep the recovery close by. Could have used a -3 with that angle.
- Semroc Tau Zero on a Quest C6-5 - Very fast and high. Again the rod was angled into the wind. recovery was 25' from the pad.
- Heavenly Hobbies Resistor 224 on 2 x C11-3 - Nice motor combo for windy and/or small fields. Perfectly straight boost with no weather cocking and slightly early ejection.
- Odd'l Wedgie on a Quest C6-3 - Unstable. Glad I made everyone stand up for this flight! Maybe I really should use an Estes C6 in this one. Needs a new streamer.
Find more photos like this on Our Planet