Saturday, January 16, 2010

Launch Report 2010-1

Location: Higgs Farm, Price, MD (MDRA - ESL-140)
Weather: temps in the 40's, light breeze
Total flights: Today - 4; YTD - 4
Total motors: Today - 4; YTD - 4

I can not believe I actually got out to fly.  In all my days as a 're-BAR', I have never attended an organized launch in January.  The weather was great for this time of year.  Hopefully this is a good omen for the rest of the year!

The highlight of MDRA's January launch has become the Christmas Tree launch.  This year, I saw two tree drag races - one with two trees and one with several.  I missed the third, which was a fly-off with one that didn't go the first time.  Most flew on K motors but there were a few J's.  A few had fins, one had a pyramid base, some had no added stability aids, and one even flew inverted.  I have photos and a couple of short videos on OurPlanet (see below).

I didn't fly much due to extended recovery efforts for the Frankenstein MLAS and several misfires.  My back was also sore.

My flights included:
  1. Hostile Projectiles V-2 on a D13-7 - The boost was fast and straight.  Recovery was a bit late but damage free.
  2. Nike Smoker on a D12-7 - I filled half the nose with orange powder and taped the cone together.  The intake and vent ports were taped-over until it was on the pad.  The flight was good and a lot of the powder was ejected.  Viewing the video on my computer, you can see a hint of the powder after ignition.  You can't see it on the post launch photo, but it was also all over that side of the rocket.  All-in-all, it was not impressive and was a big mess.
  3. Art Applewhite Helix on a E6-4 - This was really hard to light and when it did, I had the monocopter upside down.  Thus, it just spun in place.  I can be such a doofus.
  4. Frankenstein MLAS on a Loki H160-7 - It took off like a bat but arced over badly. Bounce.  People congratulated me on missing the irrigation ditch, but they spoke too soon.  The motor popped out and landed in the middle of the running stream.  Luckily, Richard had wading boots and the motor was recovered.  This ordeal did in my back, however.  Still, my back is in far better shape than the MLAS!
Click below to view the embedded slideshow and videos (not needed if you got to this post by a direct link):



Skycopp's tree launch video is here.


Find more photos like this on Our Planet



Find more videos like this on Our Planet



Find more videos like this on Our Planet



Find more videos like this on Our Planet



Find more videos like this on Our Planet