Friday, December 11, 2009

Frankenstein MLAS inching forward

I bought some new West System epoxy today and, after transplanting the pumps, weighed out just enough leftovers to add another 8 oz of noseweight to the MLAS.  What's left:
  • Test pack the chutes so I don't have to figure it out in the cold on site.
  • Decide on how much powder I need.  There is basically only a few inches to pressurize but I need enough to separate two heavy parts.
  • Paint it.  I plan to use white plastic primer as the base coat (since the huge cone is plastic) and a mix of vinyl pinstriping and black Krylon H2O for the nose roll patterns and fins.  With the weather the way it is, it will likely fly nekkid if it flies before spring.  The Nozzle Exit has links to plans that include all the markings so I can make stickers.
  • Hope for good weather on the weekend of the 20th.
  • If the weather is good, hope there is a motor vendor on site.