Tuesday, September 08, 2009

My 10 favorite albums

After listening to XM Radio's Classic Vinyl and Deep Tracks, I began mulling over what I thought my favorite albums of all time were. It's so hard; there are so many. Here are a few that changed my life (roughly in temporal order).



1. The Doors - This was my first album, evah. My best friend at the time had two copies and gave me one. I was hooked and it most certainly wasn't The End. The Doors still are one of my favorite bands.



2. Bayou Country - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Yeah, country rock before there was a genre called country rock. CCR is another of my favorites and you still can't beat Proud Mary

3. Led Zeppelin (I) - When I heard their name I thought it was odd. They blew me away and I've been Dazed and Confused ever since :)



4. Live from Deep in the Heart of Texas - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen - If you were in southern Texas in the 70's you'll understand this one. I ain't never had Too Much Fun.



5. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top - What can I say? My favorite album by my favorite band of all time. Until then, I knew them only from a couple of their hits. But nothing was the same after this album, a-how-how.




6. Blow By Blow - Jeff Beck - What? An instrumental album with jazz influences? Yep, and Jeff's guitar riffs still echo in my head.




7. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - I'm again at a loss of word on this one. How do you describe perfection? The only album I've had on LP, cassette, CD and MP3. 'Nuff said.



8. Bridge of Sighs - Robin Trower - Pure blazing energy with ethereal twists. If you don't love this one you don't love rock.




9. Fandango! - ZZ Top - As much as I loved other albums by the other bands, The Little Ol' band From Texas is the only one who blew my top, knocked me on my Tush, and got two albums on my list.




10. The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Now I feel old and worn out. This is the only one of my top 10 that came out after the 70's. It's also the only compilation, probably because I wasn't gathering albums like I had been. All I can say is his music touched my soul and this 2 CD set is, well, essential.





Now, that wasn't too hard. 11 - 20 might be impossible, however.