Saturday, August 08, 2009

Gonna need some high build-up primer

Glassing the cone for my forthcoming BT-101 rocket went pretty smoothly. Well, smoothly isn't exactly accurate. What I meant is that I got it done without glassing myself or my workbench. However, after it dried I found a lot of wavy imperfections. I used odd scraps of fiberglass which left a greater than expected number of spots to sand down, but I'm still not sure what's up with the other subtle bumps and divots. I sanded a lot but as soon as I saw the first sign of pink foam, I quit and moved on to filling. Personally, I find it a lot easier to fill a distinct hole than the low ones I'm seeing. After one pass of SuperFil, it will be time for primer. This is likely to be another 5-foot rocket, i.e. it looks goon as long as you don't get too close.