Monday, June 15, 2009

Whirlygig-24 building and re-thinking


I updated my previous post earlier today but now think I'll just re-post the next round of status and thinking out loud.
  1. Baseline version: status = flown; tube length = 22", fin root = 3", fin span = 5", fin angle =120 deg from top; 13 flights using D12, E9, EM F20, and F24 motors
  2. 'Shortie': status = flown; tube length = 16", fin root = 3", fin span = 5", fin angle = 120 deg from top; flight on an E9 spun a lot faster than baseline
  3. 'Getting Sideways': status = built; tube length = 16", fin root = 6", fin span = 4", fin angle = 105 deg from top; The fins are 1" longer in each dimension than originally planned. I got 6" x 12" plywood and decided one cut was easier than three.
  4. 'Stubby': status = up in the air*; tube length = 8", fin root = 4", fin span = 4"; fin angle = tbd; just enough room for the fins, motor tube, lug (well maybe a tad more); I may dump this one. The longer fins on the previous version pretty much satisfies the intent of this test.
  5. 'Payloader': status = up in the air*; tube length = 16", fin root = tbd, fin span = tbd; fin angle = tbd; extended motor tube with TBD weight in cone
* haha, I made a pun