Sunday, June 14, 2009

Update on my Whirlygig-24 variations (minor tweaks)

Based on the performance of my shortened Whirlygig-24 at yesterday's launch, I've adjusted my plans. All use 2' diameter tubes and fly on 24mm motors (some dimensions updated to reflect the fin material I acquired):
  1. Baseline version: tube length = 22", fin root = 3", fin span = 5", fin angle =~120 deg from top; 13 flights using D12, E9, EM F20, and F24 motors
  2. 'Shortie': tube length = 16", fin root = 3", fin span = 5", fin angle = 120 deg from top; flight on an E9 spun a lot faster than baseline
  3. 'Getting Sideways': tube length = 16", fin root = 6", fin span = 4", fin angle = 100 deg from top;
  4. 'Stubby': tube length = 8", fin root = 4", fin span = 4"; fin angle = tbd; just enough room for the fins, motor tube, lug (well maybe a tad more)
  5. 'Payloader': tube length = 16", fin root = tbd, fin span = tbd; fin angle = tbd; extended motor tube with TBD weight in cone