Saturday, April 18, 2009

Launch Report 2009-2 - Red Glare VI

Location: Higgs Farm, Price, MD (Red Glare VI)
Weather: mid 70's, light breeze
Total flights: Today - 6; YTD - 16
Total motors: Today - 11; YTD - 21

The day started well with light traffic and one car ahead of me on the Bay Bridge. I again got to camp with Don Brown under his shade. The weather was great and I saw tons of cool rockets and launches. The biggest was Neil McGilvray's 450lb Cow on a P10,000 (pictured). Cool is all you can say about that one! I think I saw 7 M's and above today. I also got some nice photos of the 1:10th scale Saturn V, which is assembled and awaiting launch next weekend. (Here's my Red Glare VI OurPlanet album.) The only down side of the day was the pads were super busy. The A (low-power) and B racks were full most of the time and the C was close. Oh, yeah, my feet and lower back were sore by the end of the day. I only flew six rockets, as follows:
  1. Hat of Death on a G69N - This Warp 9 end-burner is a cool motor for The Hat! Good power and a long burn.
  2. Madcow Jayhawk on a G76-8 - It swooped like crazy under boost and after, but remained in a solidly upward direction. Ejection was nosecone-down and it recovered with zero damage.
  3. Messer-Fo-Shizzle on five D12-5s - Very stable, but not enough ejection oomph. Easy rebuild and next time I'll augment the charge.
  4. Art Applewhite Helix 24mm on an E9-4 - The crowd loved it. The motor burned through near the nozzle. Minor damage but flyable.
  5. Art Applewhite Double Helix 24mm on 2 x E9-4 - Another crowd favorite. Massive burn though with a lot of repair necessary.
  6. DG&A Lazarus on a AMW ProX G185-5 - Very fast nice flight with ejection at apogee.
P.S. The red tower in the photo is for Steve Eves' Saturn V.