Thursday, April 30, 2009

58mm JATO re-build - head scratching

As I've mentioned, I am in the process of re-building my 58mm JATO (the name being a play on words with NATO ammo designations and JATO rocket boosters). When I built it, I did the 'leave the rear ring off and add internal fillets' trick. On its last flight, the fins (again) stayed in due to my extreme internal fillets, but one snapped half way up. I later determined it actually wasn't Lexan, as proven by the landing. In the re-build, I didn't have the option to leave the rear ring off so the root has been merely tacked in place since the fins were inserted through their slots. I know I could have attached the fins to the mount and cut the slots to the end of the tube, but that's water under the bridge. I'm trying to decide if I want to add epoxy filets or some sort of braces. Decisions, decisions...

(And, the new fins ARE Lexan.)