Saturday, March 21, 2009

Launch Report 2009-1

Location: Old National Pike Park, Mt. Airy, MD (NARHAMS)
Weather: up to 48 degs, wind calm to mild, sunny to overcast
Total flights: Today - 10; YTD - 10
Total motors: Today - 10; YTD - 10

The weather was great for March but was a tad chillier than expected. The flight rate started low with about half my flights occurring in the first hour. Then it picked up nicely with 4 or 5 TARC teams participating. I put 2 packs of Quest C6-3 motors (6 total) from my recent windfall up for grabs but only had one taker by the time I left. I'm sure the LCO's can figure what to do with any remainder. These motors have a noticeably deeper nozzle than their Estes counterparts and the Q2/G2 dipped igniters fit nicely. The burn is noticeably longer so I don't know how they can be C6's. I have to research the as-tested average and total impulse ratings. These are nice motors!

My Flights:
  1. First Flight Hobbies Corn Roc (Beta) on a Estes C6-3 - This was a highly belated first flight for this Beta test build. It spun a little but otherwise had a very straight boost. Ejection was a tad late. I made an error on this Beta build and had to adjust the nose weight a bit.
  2. First Flight Hobbies Corn Roc (Beta) on a Quest C6-3 - The flight profile was the same as for the first flight but ejection was a little later.
  3. Semroc V-2 (camo) on a B6-4 - Nice flight. The RocketChutes camo 'chute is a plastic material and I really needed to unfurl it and repack it before the flight.
  4. Semroc V-2 (White Sands Round #2) on a B6-4 - Nice flight with some wiggle. This version uses scale fins and needs a C6-5.
  5. X-20 Dyna-Soar Carrier on a D12-5 - Totally unstable. I need to check the RockSim (again). I think I'll make new host rocket for the X-20 and add a conventional cone to this one.
  6. 5th Generation on a D12-5 - Nice flight with a 'one point landing (see photo).
  7. Estes GBU-24 Paveway III on a C6-5 - Good flight.
  8. Quest Area 51 SPEV saucer on a C6-3 - OK flight with ejection on the ground.
  9. Talk Radio on a C11-3 -Nice boost but I had another non-opening 'chute event. Core sample with no damage.
  10. Model Minutes XFLR-7 on a C11-3 -This has become one of my favoritie rockets. Flies nicely with a visible slow spin and always gets nice comments.