Friday, December 12, 2008

The biggest Moon in 15 years

Tonight, the Moon is the the closest to earth that its been in 15 years. At 5PM EST the Moon was 221,559 miles away, which translates to it being about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than your average full moon. In fact it was only 118 miles further way than at any point between the years 1750 and 2125. I went out at about that time, mas-o-menos, to soak up the history of the event. It was big but I couldn't have said it was 14% bigger than normal. It did, however, seem brighter than normal. In any case, I believe the science even if my uncalibrated eyeballs couldn't tell the size difference. I took a bunch of photos with my digital camera with varied setting. These are the two best ones (as usual, click for a bigger version). I used only pre-canned settings and these made everything brighter than in real life.




(Facts via Maryland Weather.)