Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dyna-Soar carrier fins


As I mentioned earlier, I decided that clear fins would be the way to go to stabilize my Titan-like carrier rocket for the Roachwerks X-20 Dyna-Soar. This actually came to me when I noticed that the fins on the following diagram are bigger in the plane of the X-20's main fins. (Duh, slap self up-side of the head.) I rooted through one of my several junk boxes and found two matching scraps of clear polycarbonate. A couple of minor cuts and they are ready to go. I think I'll abut them against two opposing fins. Next comes finishing. I'm considering leaving some or all of the fin surfaces orange. I also will buy some more full-page white sticker stock, which is my standard quick-and-dirty source of 'decals'. I spend as much effort on these as I do on finishing in general. (I wish Blogger provided smilies.)