Thursday, August 21, 2008

Deanston Marauder progress (?)

The saga of the Deanston Marauder continues. I decided that I wanted it to have more of a jet fighter look. I began playing around with large fins in RockSim, both for stability and because the outer body is so fat. For a long time, I've been thinking about building a rocket that used replaceable foamboard fins, so that's how I've proceeded. I built three plywood frames with the dorsal frame being different from the other two. The attached photo shows some prototype fins installed.


I'm not happy with these and think the dorsal frame may not be the shape I really wanted. However, I'm not inclined to remove it so I'll work with what I have. Once I decide on a fin design, I may get some black foamboard. I'm also going to install a couple of nylon pop rivets at the base of each frame to retain the fins.