Saturday, July 26, 2008

Launch Report 2008-7 - NARAM 50, Day 1

Location: Great Meadows, The Plains, VA (NARAM-50)
Weather: High-80s and humid (by early afternoon), wind slightly breezy
Total flights: Today - 12 ; YTD - 78
Total motors: Today - 13 ; YTD - 98

This was my first NARAM and it didn't disappoint! Good weather and good folks make for fun rocketry. There was a large vendor area with plenty of room for us easy-up-challenged fliers. I was surprised it didn't fill very quickly. I saw a bunch of people I knew and a bunch who I'd only met on-line or by ordering from them. I sat next to Jack Hagerty, author of the Spaceship Handbook. He flew several vintage rockets including an Astron Ranger. I met Vern and Gleda Estes, but only saw Lee Piester and Bill Stine from afar. Astronaut Walt Cunningham was at the Launch Magazine booth. I made the faux pas of asking for a signature on a rocket. Evidently signatures were supposed to be reserved for copies of his latest book in audio format. Still, he signed my Estes Strike Fighter anyway. I did, of course, spend money, buying a Roachwerks X-20 DynaSoar nosecone kit for BT-60, a Ellis G20 (now OOP), and a couple of Roadrunner F motors (not available in this area).

My flights:
  1. Hat of Death on a G77 - Now it's not only bad, it's nationwide :)
  2. Fireball XL5 on a G77-4 - Nice under power but very wiggly thereafter. Good recovery. Lots of people complimented me on this sci-fi themed rocket.
  3. Ringer on a G76-4 - For the first time I noticed the green flame! Delay was closer to a -6 but it recovered just fine.
  4. Art Applewhite Stealth D5 on, of course, a D5-P - This spun fast and arced a lot during boost, but was way up there.
  5. Art Applewhite Helix D5 on a D5-P - Nice long duration but it turned sideways with the breeze. It was high enough but was still under power on the way down. The D5 burned through by its nozzle.
  6. Art Applewhite Helix 24mm on an E9-4 - Nice flight with comments about mowing the lawn :) It spun on the way down too.
  7. Art Applewhite Double Helix 24mm on two E9-4's - This was a really cool, high flight with ejection at apogee. Ejection of one of 2 motors that is. One burned through so badly that it damaged the body and evidently the motor's ejection charge exited though the hole.
  8. Golden Scout on an A8-3 - Nice boost into the sun. Lost. I need to log the flight with Semroc.
  9. Mirror Image on an E18-4 - Very straight flight with a slow spin. Ejection was NC down. The gliders looped slowly and one looked like it didn't want to come down. It landed behind some trees on the vendor/flier tent (where the lost and found also happened to be!).
  10. Shrox SHX-15 on a C11-3 - Nice, but uneventful.
  11. Estes Strike Fighter on a B6-4 - Nice up and down. Now probably retired given that Walt signed it.
  12. Model Minutes XFLR-7 on a C11-3 - I love the slow, rolling, arrow straight boost on this rocket! Lots of people gawked at this one too. Too bad it's OOP.
The range closed at 3PM to allow people to get ready for the evening activities. I may have more details to share later...now I have to get ready to go out.