Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nike's in Mongomery County


A couple of weeks ago, I posted about the Nike missile batteries that existed in Montgomery County during the Cold War. Earlier this evening, my wife spotted an article in the MC Gazette concerning the status of one of those sites. Site W-97, near the Montgomery County Airpark off of Snouffer School Road, was dismantled in 1955. At that time, a provision barring ‘‘human habitation” and ‘‘gatherings of more than twenty-five persons” was added to the deed. When the current owner bought the 72 acre site in 2004 , they interpreted that to mean only residential buildings were not allowed. Well, the federal government disagrees. It seems to me the owner probable knew full well what they were buying. You don't plop down $20M idly (at least I don't) so I suspect they just want to 'cheat the system' so to speak. I don't understand what's going but I wonder why the government cares. I also find it odd that the ex-owner has the time and resources to monitor what the subsequent owner does with the property that they no longer own. (Image courtesy of Wikimapia.)